Physicians who have had enough with clinical practice frequently consider what life as an employee at a health plan would be.
Matthew F. McManus, MD speaking at the SEAK Non-Clinical Careers for Physicians Conference addressed the issue of salary expectations:
What Might I Expect to Earn as a Health Plan Employee
- Very wide variation but base salaries tend to run $160-$230K depending on degree of experience and type of role
- Top CMO can make $300k+ as base
- Think of total compensation
- Bonus common – but tied to performance
- Equity awards (varies)
- Retirement contributions
- CME, licensure, society dues, etc.